Fleming Island was an area of Florida settled by George Fleming, who received the land as a grant from the Spanish government for his military service.
In 1942, when the area was undeveloped, the U.S. Navy constructed four asphalt runways on the site and established a Naval Outlying Field designated as NOLF Fleming Island, an auxiliary airfield to Naval Air Station Jacksonville.The Navy abandoned the auxiliary airfield in the 1960’s, its runways too short to accommodate the jet aircraft then in operation at nearby NAS Jacksonville and NAS Cecil Field, and in the late 1990’s the decaying runways were demolished to make way for current residential development.
Today, Fleming Island is primarily a bedroom community of nearby Jacksonville. Major developments include Eagle Harbor, Pace Island and Fleming Island Plantation. Fleming Island High School, which opened in 2003, is the only high school on the island.
To search available homes in Fleming Island: